Foreign governments to provide assistance to Odette victims

0


Philstar.com

December 21, 2021 | 2:34 p.m.

MANILA, Philippines – A number of foreign governments have pledged to provide aid to victims of Super Typhoon Odette which devastated parts of the Visayas and Mindanao last week.

Among them is China, whose Embassy in the Philippines said it has collected 20,000 food parcels worth around 8 million pesos for distribution in areas such as Cebu, Leyte, Negros Occidental, Bohol, Cagayan de Oro City, Surigao City and Negros Oriental.

Huang Xilian, Beijing’s envoy to Manila, added that 1.5 million kilograms of rice are in Cebu, while an additional 3.225 million kilograms are in Manila to be transported to areas affected by the typhoon.

UK Minister of State for Asia Amanda Milling said on Twitter that the country had pledged £ 750,000 (49.44 million pesos) to the Philippine Red Cross through the Federation International Red Cross.

Japan also announced emergency aid to the Philippines through the Japan International Cooperation Agency, including generators, tents, mattresses, portable water cans and tarpaulins or plastic sheeting, which will be distributed in coordination with the social protection department.

The United States said its development agency, the United States Agency for International Development, was working with the International Organization for Migration to provide emergency shelter assistance to 3,000 families affected by the typhoon. .

USAID and the World Food Program have also helped the Department of Social Protection to provide 10,000 food packages to residents of Butuan City.

Odette, known internationally as Rai, is the strongest typhoon to hit the Philippines this year, leaving a trail of destruction in parts of the Visayas and Mindanao where food and water are still scarce, while the power and communication lines have not yet been fully restored.

The National Council for Disaster Risk Reduction and Management estimates that the cyclone damaged 118 million pesos in agricultural products and infrastructure worth 225 million pesos.

The Philippine National Police have so far identified 375 people who died in the typhoon, while 56 are still missing and 515 have been injured. This figure is expected to rise in the coming days as more information flows in from areas that have been disconnected due to the storm. – Xave Gregorio



Share.

Comments are closed.