US evacuates all Afghan embassy staff: report

0

All local Afghan employees of the U.S. Embassy in Kabul along with their families were successfully evacuated by the U.S. Saturday night, according to ABC News.

An internal report obtained by ABC News says about 2,800 Afghans departed from Kabul airport as of 8:30 p.m. ET on Saturday.

The State Department was unable to comment when contacted by The Hill.

An internal State Department cable sent last week reportedly said local Afghan embassy staff were “deeply discouraged” by the evacuation operations. The cable relayed reports that staff members were harassed, spat at and cursed at by Taliban fighters at checkpoints.

“Our local staff and their families have suffered hardship, pain and loss because of their dedication to working with us to build a better future for all Afghans. We have a special commitment to them because of this,” said a State Department spokesperson told The Hill. at the time.

After taking power, the Taliban vowed to show amnesty to Afghans who worked with Western-backed governments. However, reports soon surfaced of Taliban fighters raiding homes for Western allies and threatening the lives of their families. The Taliban denied the reports, with a spokesman calling it “all fake news”.

The internal report obtained by ABC News also says US facilities are quickly overwhelmed, with Fort Lee nearing capacity and Dulles International Airport in Washington, DC, struggling to process all arrivals.

During press conference On Friday, State Department spokesman Ned Price confirmed that the majority of local Afghan employees and their families had been evacuated from Kabul.

On Sunday, the State Department said there were about 250 Americans in Afghanistan still trying to leave the country. Some may already be at Hamid Karzai International Airport or on their way.

Two suicide bombers attacked the airport with explosives last week, killing 13 US servicemen and at least 160 Afghans. On Saturday, the US Embassy in Kabul issued a security alert advising Americans to leave the airport due to a “specific and credible threat”.

President BidenJoe BidenGallego on Jan. 6 Rioters: “F— them” Psaki: Why is the GOP afraid of presidential debates? Biden calls on employers to make vaccines mandatory despite Supreme Court ruling MORE also said on Saturday that he had been informed by officials that another attack in the coming days was “very likely”.

Share.

Comments are closed.